Sunday, December 15, 2013

The Frogs by Aristophanes

Tonight is apparently Greek play night, I've read two plays tonight in an attempt to quickly read a chunk of the 200  books and increase my motivation to finish this very big challenge. The Frogs is in the same book translated by Mr. Dickinson as Lysistrata. I enjoyed reading this play second as it was written later, towards the end of the Peloponnesian War. This play's tone seems far more relaxed than Lysistrata, but that could be because there is no major crisis that must be solved. It is more an adventure, leisure, or character commentary. I find it interesting that this play was light on political references and commentary and won an award from the government instead of Lysistrata. Perhaps a statement from the government about their dislike of political themed plays? 

This story is about the god Dionysus going down into Hades to find Euripides a playwright who recently died. In a Dante like moment they see the various people who are in hell which gave me pause to wonder if the Divine Comedy may have been a bit inspired by this play. 
Dionysus even hosts a contest between Euripides and Aeschlyus to determine the better playwright. The outcome is not what I expected, but I am not versed in their plays so I was a little confused about the references to their plays. I will not say the end because this play is worth the read. And I'm opposed to spoilers.

I found it interesting how the slave Xanthias has to walk all the way around the lake and questions why he has to be put through all this.  His opinions and thoughts are not hidden or subtle. It's interesting that a slave in a slave culture society makes such statements. I wonder if this was a comment about slavery? I could be over reaching here. This could be a literary agent used to keep the play moving.

Either way it's interesting how macabre this play is in the beginning with talks of suicide and going into hell then ends saving someone from death and bringing them back to save the nation. All with a little poetry slamming in there, not unlike the various music cross referencing/commentaries we have going on today. I'm sure much of the subleties are lost on me this many years after their culture, but it was rich with comedy and imagination and made for a great read on a cold snowy night.


No comments:

Post a Comment