Sunday, December 15, 2013

Lysistrata by Aristophanes

There is something nostalgic about reading an old book. That nostalgia is doubled when reading an old book translation of an old text. Today I read Lysistrata, a play by Aristophanes. The translation is by Patric Dickinson through Oxford Paperbacks circa 1970. The smell of must and old paper waft off the book as each page turns and I can't help but feel like Gandalf in the dank old library looking over old papers.  Too bad I had the hum of electricity and TV's around me to pull me from my revelrie.

Lysistrata is an interesting political play, which I understood better thanks to the succint prologue Mr. Dickinson provided. Aristophones wrote this during the Peloponnesian War...which was particularly draining on the economy and population.

 The basic plot is that Lysistrata meets women of the other areas involved and they all vow to not be sexual with their men until they agree to peace. She also has the older women take over the treasury so the men can't have access to it.  After 6 days of the men and women bickering, emissaries from the other cities come, desperate for the peace treaty that will bring their wives back to bed. 

I find it interesting that there were many degrading comments to women, that can still be seen today. The men did not appreciate the value or skill set that women can/could bring to the table. The men were outraged and horrified that Lysistrata would take over the treasury, saying that there is no way war coffers can be compared to a household budget. I find that oddly similar to today's government budget. We spend so much money as a government and culture and then borrow more money so we can give and spend more, it's dagerously reckless. Yet, it we had the common sense of a simple household budget on a large scale...would things be easier? Lysistrata thinks so.

It was very funny to see the women pining away for their husbands in the treasury and Lysistrata telling them to get back in, that they were not going to give in and ruin the protest. Though there are derogatory views of women and their frivolous housekeeping it is interesting to see women portrayed as amorous and in love with drinking...a far cry from the Victorian stoic lady of the house. It almost made me blush to see the women desire their men so deeply. I'm used to a culture where women bemoan sex with their spouse more often than they celebrate it. Not that I think that's better. I believe that God definitely made sex as a great gift to both the husband and wife. I'm also not sure I think that it's the best idea to withhold from your spouse, but it seemed like a short withholding before they came back together. So maybe, and I say this with utmost caution, there is some merit in this particular fast? 

 Throughout the play there is a wonderfully refreshing sarcasm and sardonic attitude throughout the play, so much so that I wish I could have experienced it as a real play during the time. It wouldn't be that hard to make the entire play cutlturally relevant and poignant to our current situation.  I'm sure there are many case studies from many disciplines that could be made from this play.

Aristophanes makes a strong statement in this play about the ridiculousness of war. Sparta was warring against Athens over an offense, easily forgetting the previous help Athens offered them. Athens warred against Spartans over another offense forgetting that Sparta laid armies to waste for them. Both aided and hated each other at the same time, dwindling resources to prove their own hatred the strongest. The play ended abruptly after they made a peace treaty, perhaps to make a point that everyone just wanted to get home? But I wish that there could have been a stronger statement to pooling resources to cooperate and do more good. In the end, this is a light play and an easy enjoyable read. 1 down, 199 to go! 













No comments:

Post a Comment