Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Major Plays, Anton Chekhov #8

I have a confession...I found an edition of Major Play by Chekhov that had two other plays on my list. I just couldn't stomach checking out too many books and having a hard time keeping track! Plus, I'm still reading 4 plays!
The major plays I read were The Seagull and Uncle Vanya, they are both dark. There's this trend of memento mori in art and apparently Chekhov was a fan. Either play dealt with unrequited love and dreams gone awry (The Seagull) or an unrequited love, misguided love, and dysfunctional family drama (Uncle Vanya).
I might be getting burned out of reading plays about death, destruction, and questioning the fairness of life on earth. But these plays seriously made me very grateful for my simple life! I also started craving vodka for some reason....

Easy reads, but difficult to shake the feeling that life is surreal and something bad is going to happen at any moment. If it's not clear, I'm not a fan of stories with unsettling vague endings. Which both plays have.

Interesting reads, glad I am done! 8 down, 192 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment